As our future will soon be molded by machine learning and automated systems, these mind-warping artificial intelligence statistics are all you need to prepare you for the artificial intelligence revolution, says Jovan Milenkovic of Kommandotech.com
Top 20 Artificial Intelligence Facts in a Growing AI World
Artificial intelligence has come a long way since IBM introduced a mainframe that could play a competitive game of checkers. Today’s advanced AI systems are transforming the economy, culture, and even politics.
Current AI technology can be roughly divided into “weak” and “strong” AI. A perfect example of weak AI can be found in your living room in the form of smart speakers. Siri, Echo, and Alexa all have programmed responses to certain demands.
Strong AI, on the other hand, is the most important and interesting artificial intelligence technology today. Strong AI is the kind of AI featured in sci-fi movies. It aims to emulate the human cognitive process by grouping various concepts together in associational clusters. While strong AI has a long way to go before we see widespread use, there’s no doubt that it will profoundly change our lives once it passes the prototype stage.
All in all, scientists believe that the future scope of artificial intelligence will encompass almost all human activities. Here are some AI statistics to prepare you for the brave new world that lies ahead of us.
LET’S LOOK AT THE NUMBERS, HAL
1. ACCORDING TO GARTNER’S AI CUSTOMER SERVICE STATISTICS, CHATBOTS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR 85% OF CUSTOMER SERVICE BY 2020
Artificial intelligence is still far away from taking over sales jobs, but it has proved more than useful in the customer service department. Modern chatbots learn by trial and error and gradually improve their understanding of customers’ questions. Customer service is the first among many boring jobs that will be taken over by AI.
2. ACCORDING TO CRUNCHBASE’S AI STATS, MORE THAN 10,000 DEVELOPERS NOW WORK ON BUILDING CHATBOTS FOR FACEBOOK MESSENGER.
Facebook has proved itself an excellent platform for businesses to share their products. In fact, many companies use Messenger as a dedicated customer service platform.
3. JUNIPER’S STATISTICS ABOUT ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE SAY THAT CHATBOTS COULD SAVE BUSINESSES $8 BILLION.
Although many companies already outsource customer service and try to save money that way, the truth is, it’s still expensive. Thankfully, we’re not that far from a future where AI will handle almost all customer service.
4. AN ADOBE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE REPORT SAYS THAT ONLY 15% OF SURVEYED COMPANIES USE AI – PRIMARILY FOR IMPROVING CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE.
However, the artificial intelligence statistics also reveal that 31% of those not currently using AI intend to use it within the next 12 months. In addition to improving CX through on-site personalization, companies also rely on AI and data to refine their marketing methods.
5. START-UP COMPANIES THAT USE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE HAVE INCREASED 14-FOLD IN NUMBER SINCE 2000.
The popularity of artificial intelligence has quite literally surged in the past two decades. With such impressive momentum, there’s no doubt we will see a huge supply of jobs in artifical intelligence. AI courses have increased ninefold in academia in the last 20 years. Enrollment in AI-related courses at Stanford has surged 4,500%.
6. THE PERCENTAGE OF HELP-WANTED ADS REQUIRING AI SKILLS IS 4.5 TIMES HIGHER THAN IN 2013.
While it was believed that AI technology would be replacing humans in the workplace by now, causing widespread unemployment, the truth is quite the opposite. With more and more companies using AI, there will be a steady increase in demand for experts in the field.
7. THE THREE MOST DESIRED AI SKILLS ON MONSTER.COM ARE MACHINE LEARNING, DEEP LEARNING, AND NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING
It’s also worth noting that the average machine learning manager makes a salary of $127,000 or more. Artificial intelligence experts earn an enviable salary.
8. 84% OF COMPANY REPRESENTATIVES BELIEVE THAT INVESTING IN AI CAN BRING MORE COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGES.
In fact, according to Statista AI industry statistics, 75% believe that AI has the potential to open up new businesses. They think AI and business will be inseparable, especially when it comes to giving entrepreneurs a better foothold in existing markets. About 63% state that the shift to AI will be primarily driven by a desire to cut operating costs.
9. FORBES AI STATISTICS STATE THAT 87% OF EARLY AI ADOPTERS SAY THEY ARE USING OR CONSIDERING USING AI FOR SALES FORECASTING AND IMPROVING EMAIL MARKETING.
In addition, 61% use artificial intelligence for market forecast purposes. AI can efficiently navigate the hectic world of international commerce by applying big data analysis and pattern recognition in real-time, enabling marketers to create valid long-term strategies.
10. 40% OF BUSINESS LEADERS BELIEVE AI WILL INCREASE WORKER PRODUCTIVITY.
Accenture’s AI work statistics say AI has the potential to double annual economic growth rates by 2035. In addition to financial gains, AI’s biggest potential lies in the fact that it can fundamentally change the nature of work and the relationship between humans and technology.
11. GLOBAL REVENUES FROM AI ENTERPRISE APPLICATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO RISE FROM $1.62 BILLION IN 2018 TO $31.2 BILLION IN 2025.
Forbes statistics on artificial intelligence also state that over the next seven years, revenues from AI enterprise applications will attain a compound annual growth rate of 52.59%. AI IT operations statistics reveal that patient data processing, localization and mapping, predictive maintenance, and intelligent recruitment are the most common.
12. WHEN ASKED TO IDENTIFY THE NEXT BIG MARKETING TREND, MARKETERS RESPOND WITH CONSUMER PERSONALIZATION (29%), AI (26%), AND VOICE SEARCH (21%)
Statistics about the use of AI say that 46.92% of marketers identify AI as a tool for increasing effectiveness, while 42% are planning to use AI analysis in their content marketing strategy for the upcoming year. However, 42.25% of marketers say that fewer than 25% of the marketing technologies they use are based on AI. Nevertheless, marketing will be the main drive for AI market size growth in the next decade.
13. ABOUT ONE IN FIVE COMPANIES HAVE INCORPORATED AI IN THEIR SERVICES OR OFFERINGS.
(MIT Sloan Management Review)
Although artificial intelligence is very popular with companies today, it’s a long way from ubiquitous. Only about 5% have incorporated AI extensively. About 50% of the largest companies – those with 100,000 or more employees – have an AI strategy.
14. 40% OF ATTENDEES AT AI WORLD SAY AI WILL FORCE THEIR COMPANIES TO ADD MORE JOBS.
(Dun & Bradstreet)
You often hear rumors about how scary artificial intelligence is or how advanced technology is taking over jobs. Statistics demonstrate otherwise. In fact, artificial intelligence development will only produce more and more demand for high-paid experts while at the same time automating obsolete jobs.
15. BY 2020, AI WILL TAKE OVER 1.8 MILLION JOBS, BUT IT WILL GENERATE 2.3 MILLION MORE
AI will be replacing humans on some jobs, according to TechRepublic statistics. Although implementation of artificial intelligence might seem scary at this point, it will in fact create more opportunities for the expert workforce. Simply put, most of the white collar clerical jobs of today will be replaced by AI and AI experts.
16. WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM STATISTICS ABOUT AI SAY THAT BY 2022, AI WILL HAVE TAKEN OVER 75 MILLION JOBS, WHILE CREATING ANOTHER 133 MILLION.
(World Economic Forum)
In addition, 59% of respondents believe their workplaces will be significantly altered by the latest artificial intelligence developments. Finally, 38% of respondents say they will be forced to open more creative and independent work roles to handle the growth of artificial intelligence.
17. THE AVERAGE MACHINE LEARNING ENGINEER SALARY IN THE US IS $169,930.
In the last couple of years, we’ve seen a dramatic rise of artificial intelligence jobs, particularly because of the high salary these jobs bring. While a little less than 170k a year is a quite satisfactory figure, AI salaries can even be higher depending on the job role and the candidate’s qualifications.
18. THE AVERAGE DEEP LEARNING ENGINEER SALARY RANGES FROM APPROXIMATELY $80,887 PER YEAR FOR RESEARCH SCIENTIST TO $138,647 PER YEAR FOR SENIOR POSITIONS.
The average deep learning salary is significantly lower than that of a machine learning engineer. The jobs are quite different. While deep learning specialists are mainly focused on neural networks, machine learning engineers create self-learning algorithms that help computers reach decisions through constant feedback loops and other mechanisms.
19. AI CAREER STATS FROM INDEED SHOW THAT ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE JOB LISTINGS GREW 29% FROM MAY 2018 TO MAY 2019.
Every survey shows we can expect demand for AI jobs to continuing growing for five years or more. The relationship between AI and jobs is two-sided. AI systems are expected to replace come white-collar workers, but there will also be a lot of new careers in AI.
20. THE WORLDWIDE CHATBOT MARKET IS EXPECTED TO REACH $1.25 BILLION BY 2025.
Replacing real people with chatbots is one of the most pervasive trends in artificial intelligence technology. Job automation statistics from DigitalGO suggest that the trend will continue at a CAGR of 24.3.
For the rest of the article by Jovan Milenkovic of Kommandotech.com click here