Tackling South Africa’s Black Xenophobia At Presidential Level
Contrary to Nigeria’s initial lame duck approach to black racial degeneracy, conscious African presidents have taken frontal measures against the criminal xenophobia of the black-on-black violence of South Africa politics.
Presidents Paul Kagame, Felix Tshisekedi and Peter Mutharika withdraw from World Economic Forum holding in South Africa, with Nigeria following.
There is legitimate concern about security agents in the details with recent Soweto looting and South Africa killings which target foreign residents
Xenophobia: Presidents Paul Kagame, Felix Tshisekedi and Peter Mutharika withdraw from World Economic Forum holding in South Africa
by Veno Omueda, Breaking Times
The World Economic Forum (WEF) scheduled to begin in South Africa from Wednesday September 4, will go on without the President of Rwanda Paul Kagame, President of DR Congo Felix Tshisekedi and the President of Malawi Peter Mutharika as they’ve all withdrawn from the event.
The African leaders withdrew from the three-day event holding in Capetown after the xenophobic attacks launched by South Africans against foreigners especially Nigerians.
Zimbabwean media personality, Josey Mahachie also confirmed that the Zambian National team cancelled its friendly match with South Africa, citing security concerns.
South Africa closes embassy in Nigeria
Text by FRANCE 24
South Africa said Thursday it has closed its diplomatic missions in the Nigerian cities of Abuja and Lagos following violence carried out against South African businesses in reprisal for attacks on foreign-owned stores in Johannesburg.
Both countries stepped up security on Wednesday after deadly attacks on foreign-owned stores in South African cities triggered reprisals against South African businesses in Nigeria.
“After receiving reports and threats from some of the Nigerians, we decided to temporarily close while we are assessing the situation,” foreign ministry spokesman Lunga Ngqengelele said, adding the missions were shut on Wednesday.
South Africa is “monitoring the situation,” he said, and would re-open the missions “when see it necessary”.
Ngqengelele said the decision to suspend operations at the two missions was made after “a group of people… came and tried to force themselves in” at the Lagos consulate.
“It was on those basis that we felt we need to protect the employees and shut it down”.
The rioting has killed at least five people in Johannesburg and Pretoria in recent days, and on Wednesday South African companies MTN and Shoprite closed stores in Nigeria after retaliatory attacks on their premises. Police have made almost 300 arrests, while people across the continent have protested and voiced their anger on social media.
Nigeria boycotts economic summit in Cape Town
The embassy closure comes after Nigeria said on Wednesday it would boycott an Africa economic summit in Cape Town, intensifying a diplomatic row after a series of deadly attacks on foreigners in South African cities.
The withdrawal of Nigerian Vice President Yemi Osinbajo from the World Economic Forum gathering has cast a cloud over initiatives to boost intra-African trade. He was scheduled to address a panel on universal energy access on Thursday.
“Clearly with this climate, he (Osinbajo) and Mr. President have agreed that he should not go,” Nigerian Foreign Minister Geoffrey Onyeama told a news briefing.
Onyeama had previously summoned South Africa’s envoy to Nigeria and demanded an explanation for “the continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises … with ineffective police protection”.
On Tuesday, Nigeria summoned the South African ambassador for talks and said President Muhammadu Buhari was sending an envoy to convey his displeasure to President Cyril Ramaphosa.